Friday, October 1, 2010

Editor

This has been one of the craziest weeks ever. It always is. It is... Homecoming Week, a.k.a. the week where kids won't pay attention to anything, regardless of how much time you put into planning the class. First of all, the kids are all encouraged to wear different themed outfits each day of the week.

Monday was Pajama Day. Who, in their right mind, would choose to encourage TEENAGERS to wear PAJAMAS on a MONDAY?! Let's just say we didn't get much done that day. While we're being honest, let's also just say that I happily partook in the pajama wearing.

Tuesday was ugly sweater day. The rule was that the kids could wear jeans only if they had on an ugly sweater. Otherwise, they had to be in full dress code.Now I know that people say our educational system is getting a little lax and that families are breaking down and kids don't know as much as they used to. I have seen brief glimpses of the truth in that here and there but never more so than on Tuesday. It never occurred to me that kids would have any question about the definition of a sweater. No, a sweatshirt is not a sweater. No, a long sleeve t-shirt is not a sweater. No, a big T-shirt with the arms cut off is not a sweater. I decided to not even get into the argument of what would constitute ugliness or not. As long as the kid had on a SWEATER, I let them squeak by. But can I get any amens out there that a solid navy blue American Eagle sweater is probably not an ugly sweater? Come on.

Wednesday was decades day. I was trying to decide what I should wear for decades day and wasn't coming up with much. Somebody suggested to me that I wear a poodle skirt. 2 questions- 1> Why would anyone assume that I would just have a poodle skirt lying around my house? 2> Since I do, however, have a real poodle, could I somehow attach my real poodle onto a skirt and wear that? I settled on dressing as a hippie.

Thursday was tie-dye day. I had no incident with this day. Neither did I have any tie-dyed items to wear. I did, however, overhear a kid trying to explain to another teacher that their shirt used to be tie-dyed, but it had washed out.

Friday, today, was a spirit day. So Freshmen and Seniors wore blue, Sophomores and Juniors wore white. It was a pretty good day. We had shortened classes, a pep assembly and then they fed us all hot dogs, chips, cookies and soda. And then we all got to leave early. Amen.

I never even got to the editor part of my post. Apparently I need an editor to keep me on track. I will leave the title, however, to entice you to read all about how I want to be an editor whenever I should happen to blog again. It could be tomorrow, it could be never.

1 comment:

  1. Hah! I love the idea of attaching your actual poodle to your skirt. That would have been a day to remember.

    ReplyDelete