Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sarah's Key

I just finished another book, Sarah's Key. It would have to be a mixed review for me. On the bright side, I couldn't put the book down. It was a quick, intense read. It is about the French police force's role in the holocaust and one specific day in July of 1942 when they rounded up many of Paris' Jewish residents and sent them off to concentration camps. Most of these Parisian Jews were sent to Auschwitz where they were killed.

The book follows 2 women- one, a present-day journalist whose assignment is to write an article for the anniversary of the Vel d' Hiv roundup. The other is a young girl, Sarah, who is torn out of her home by the french policemen, and goes through unspeakable tragedy. The storyline bounces back and forth between these two women and between their respective time periods and experiences.

Good points- very interesting, held my attention, very informative about a topic I had known nothing about

Bad points- made me cry (I hate books that do that!), somewhat depressing, and ended with an unnecessary love interest

So there you have my take on it. :) I've been reading a lot lately. I like that.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this book and thought about giving it a shot. I might do that still. I don't mind a good tear jerker....haha. Have you read My Sister's Keeper? you will SOB. but its a good book in my opinion :)

    Its great you're having time to read. It will be fantastic when the weather gets better and sitting in the park with a book is possible.

    Right now I'm reading this book by Temple Grandin - Animals in Translation - its very interesting & I'll prob. post about it later.

    take care!

    ReplyDelete