Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lentil soup

I made some lentil soup today. Here's how it went:

1> Cut up onion, celery, carrots and garlic and sautee in some olive oil.

2> Add in some chicken stock (vegetable, if you are a vegetarian). I would add this whole carton.
Just look at this swirlin' goodness.

3> Go through the lentils, pick out any little rocks or wierd lookin' lentils.
Rocks and wierds are top right. Bottom left is a little fish. Yes, this is supposed to be my fish cutting board. I don't cook much fish.
Quick side note about lentils- today I used just the regular old greeny-greyish lentils. They're pretty good. The best lentils for soup, in my opinion, are the little red ones.
4> Rinse lentils in water. Pour off the water, including anything that floats.

5> Add lentils into the stock and vegetable mix.

6> Flavorings- a bay leaf, ground coriander, ground cumin, juice of 1/2 a lemon.
Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30-40 minutes.
Finished product:

This bready goodness on the side is some italian bread, spread with olive oil, sprinkled with garlic salt, italian spices, and parmesan cheese, and put under the broiler for a few minutes. Try it. You'll never be the same.

3 comments:

  1. Hurray! Lentil soup! What a lovely idea. I'm making it tonight since it'll be raining all day,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it last night and it was delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good! I'm glad you liked it. It is a perfect rainy day soup!

    ReplyDelete