Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rice Pudding

I was trying to decide what to eat for breakfast today when I saw a box of arborio rice on my counter, still there from making risotto awhile ago. So I decided to make some rice pudding. It turned out beautifully, so I thought I would share my secrets. Here are the ingredients I started with:
1/2 cup arborio rice
1 cup milk (but you'll need more)
1 cinnamon stick
1 TBSP sugar
pinch of ground cloves
Put this all in a small saucepan over medium heat. You need to stir frequently. Once the milk is about to boil, turn the heat down to low.
Keep adding milk, so that it never gets drier than the picture above. You have to keep stirring too. After 15-20 minutes, taste the rice and see if it is soft enough. At the end, I added in a pinch of salt to balance out the sweetness. You could probably add vanilla too, I just didn't think of it.
Here's what the finished product looked like:

I added in blueberries and slivered almonds.


And it was amazing. You might think that cinnamon and blueberries don't really go together. But then you'd be wrong.
A little quote from Seinfeld: 'Anytime anyone says, "Oh This is so good. What's in it?" The answer invariably comes back, Cinnamon. Cinnamon. Again and again.'

No comments:

Post a Comment