Saturday, February 6, 2010

House

Lately I've been getting a hankering to get my own house. I don't know if it's the terrible windows of my apartment that ice over.. on the INSIDE.. in winter, or maybe the feeling of wanting to hunker down and hibernate from the cold, or maybe the long trek through the snow to the laundry building, or, most likely, from hours and hours of watching HGTV.
As I think about buying a house, here are the things that would be dealbreakers for me:

1> Laundry. In the house. Sounds like a miracle. Although then I might have to start thinking about getting my exercise elsewhere.
2> Gas stove. Preferably a dark blue Viking. What? They cost 8,000 dollars? Surely the previous homeowner will leave one behind..
3> A guest room.
4> At least 2 bathrooms.
5> A little bit of yard so I can play gardener.

I think those are enough dealbreakers. Things I would like besides that:
1> A big kitchen with enough storage space. Ooh, and a pantry.
2> A non-carpeted entrance so you have a place to take off wet and snowy shoes.
3> A fireplace.
4> A separate dining room. I think I've had enough of multi-purpose rooms.

And, I have to confess, one of my favorite things in the world (of houses) is when upstairs rooms have irregular ceiling lines, like a sloping ceiling with a window jutting out of it.
We'll see. For now, I have decided to just be content that I am warm and out of the snow and slush. Incidently, there is a lot of snow in the forecast for Monday and possibly Tuesday. Do I see a snow day or two in my future??

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally with you on the laundry. After 9 years of carting my laundry about (since college and forward), having a washer and dryer in my actual house sounds like paradise.

    ReplyDelete