Monday, February 15, 2010

Brisket part 1

One great memory I have from college involves a certain brisket made by my best friend's mom. At certain InterVarsity functions, she would come and cook for the group and make this brisket. It was amazing. Melt-in-your-mouth beef. Since I have gotten married, I have always looked longingly at the brisket at the grocery store, but have never been brave enough to try it myself.
Until now. It helped that the meat was on super-sale, so at least if I ruin it completely I won't feel too bad about throwing away my money.
Being the foresightful planner I am, I shot an e-mail off last night to both Kristina and Jen, demanding their mother's recipe. I told them I needed the recipe by this morning, or else. Needless to say, there was no recipe in my inbox this morning. So I threw some random things in the crockpot and we'll see. I decided I should write this down so that in case it should turn out well, I would be able to replicate it. And, I guess, in case it turns out terribly, I'll know what to avoid.
On the bottom of the crockpot:
2 onions, quartered
1 celery stalk, cut into 1 inch pieces.
2 cloves of garlic, rough chopped
2 dried chipotle peppers
1 bay leaf

On the meat:
fresh ground pepper
ground cumin
onion powder
garlic powder

Poured over all:
3/4 cup of liquid that included
Soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
beef boulion
hot water
juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp salt

I seared the brisket before I thought of the little spice rub, so I put those dry spices on AFTER it was seared. I think if I did it again, I would do that before I seared it, possibly even overnight.
I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment