Tuesday, February 23, 2010

In the time of the butterflies

Since my last post mentioned a movie that wasn't really worth watching, I figured I owe it to everyone to recommend a movie that is. I stumbled a cross this movie a few days ago on hulu.com and it was really phenomenal. The good thing about it being on hulu is that you can watch the whole thing for free on your computer.

The movie 'In the time of the butterflies' is a movie about 4 sisters who lived during the Trujillo dictatorship in the Dominican Republic. They are the Mirabal sisters, who formed part of the resistance movement against the regime.

What I liked about the movie was that it didn't show any excessive sex or violence or contain much bad language. Even though it is about violent, sad times, it portrays it in a way that even my weak stomach can handle. And, it was fairly educational. I didn't know anything about the Trujillo dictatorship before I watched this movie, and now I have at least a sense of what it was about and why people were fleeing their country during that time. It's also an inspiring movie. It makes you want to go out and change the world. Watch at your own risk!

Here is the link to hulu. If you watch it, let me know what you think!
http://www.hulu.com/watch/34568/in-the-time-of-the-butterflies

No comments:

Post a Comment