Sunday, December 20, 2009

Better-for-you Fried Chicken

Here is my attempt to be like the Pioneer Woman (http://thepioneerwoman.com/) and write up a recipe with pictures. Please excuse the picture fuzziness, as my camera doesn't do well with low light and my kitchen is basically a galley.
This recipe is one of Keith's favorites and I think it's somewhat healthier than regular fried chicken, but I haven't done the calorie count, so who really knows?

First, you cut up your boneless, skinless chicken into smaller pieces. Then, get out two random dishes. I used a bread pan and a strange-shaped bowl. One is for your wet ingredients and the other is for the dry stuff.

The wet ingredients: one egg, some buttermilk (1/3 cup? I don't measure), season salt and ground pepper. Mix together with a fork.

Here are your dry ingredients. You can leave stuff out or add other stuff in as you see fit. You can see that this is a very precise science.

Bread crumbs- I use panko, will be the the bulk of your dry ingredients. Maybe 1 cup? Parmesan cheese will be next- maybe 1/4 cup (forgot to add it to the lineup for the picture), then ever so much season salt, garlic powder, ground pepper, cayenne pepper, and just a little Italian seasoning. Don't overdo it on the cayenne.
Next, heat an iron skillet on medium and heat some olive oil. 3 TBSP?

Then, dip your chicken into the wet stuff.. There you are, parmesan! You missed your group photo.


Then the dry stuff...
Then you put it on the pan. The real trick of this recipe is getting all of your chicken pieces to fit on the pan. Success!
You'll cook them for 5 minutes or so, then flip
Cook on that side for another 5 or so minutes. I usually turn on the oven at the beginning to 375 or so and stick the pan in the oven after the chicken is brown on both sides because I'm psycho about overcooking my chicken so I don't get salmonella. Better safe than sorry.
Here's the finished product:

For this particular meal, I just cooked up some broccoli to serve with it. Other times, I have served the chicken with baked beans, baked butternut squash, potatoes, etc.
Now, go get cooking! My next cooking project? A cheesecake. We'll see how it goes. Or if it goes at all.

5 comments:

  1. I'll give it a try. Looks so yummy and crispy! And if you need help on that cheese cake just ask me. I have mastered three kinds. So easy to do. --- Laura, you know.... your sister-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know! I will keep your number on speed dial for the day I make it. I'm thinking Wednesday, so keep your phone nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to try it out too! Looks yummy.

    Have you ever tried cornflake chicken? You can use pretty much the same wet ingredients and then roll the pieces in crushed cornflakes. I like to bake it that way - but you might be able to fry it too...I'm not sure.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, that sounds good. I was trying to figure out a way to use cornmeal in the recipe but it seemed too gritty. Cornflakes would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete