Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cheesecake- phase 1

So I am in the middle of my cheesecake adventure and thought I would share my progress. This recipe is from Ina Garten and you can find it at
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mixed-berry-cheesecake-recipe/index.html

Here's what I've done so far:
1: Crust
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 TBSP melted butter
1 TBSP sugar
Mix together, pat into the bottom of a spring-form pan and about 1" up the sides.





Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Then, set it aside to let it cool and bump up the oven to 450

2: Filling

The cast:
2 1/2 lbs. cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 eggs and 2 egg yolks
1/4 cup sour cream (cutest measuring cup ever!!)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
Disclaimer-The olive oil in the picture is just a backdrop. It is NOT one of the ingredients.

Side note: Surely the 1/4 cup of LIGHT sour cream will counteract the large tower of full-fat cream cheese. Right?..



Mix, add, mix, add..


The last step- adding the sour cream. You can also see the lemon zest, and the dark liquid making a ruckus in the corner is the vanilla. Probably should not have used dark vanilla.

Mix, mix, mix..



Then, finally, you pour it into your cooled crust.



Since this is my first attempt at cheesecake, I made a little extra one so that I could taste it before taking it to the family Christmas eve party without cutting into it.

Now it's in the oven. And smelling AMAZING! Too bad the baking process takes an entire day!! I will try to snap a picture of the finished product tomorrow. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a cheesecake! Sounds delicious. Do you know the calorie count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea. And I think I don't want to know! Does your cheesecake recipe use this much cream cheese? My favorite part of this one is the lemon. I've always been a sucker for citrus.

    ReplyDelete