Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas in the classroom

I've done a little decorating in my classroom this year for Christmas and wanted to share my efforts. Here is the first thing I added:
It's a little Charlie Brown-like, but I love it. It's about a foot tall and sits on my desk. You can see my Guatemalan flag and flamenco dancer in the background.

Today we were studying how different Spanish speaking countries celebrate Christmas and I told them about Christmas in Guatemala. I told them that it was a pyro's dream. They were all very impressed with my stories, especially the one about Ryan swinging the string of firecrackers around his head and letting go right before the last one (the bomb) went off. I don't think any of them believed me. But they were impressed at least with my imagination.
These boys were especially impressed. I think they will spend every possible Christmas in Guatemala. Here are some of the other posters that they made today:I even learned a new word today. Apparently copo de nieve means snowflake. I guess I have never had much need for that word in Spanish before.
Cute! Obviously made by girls.. Sorry the picture is a little fuzzy. This one was already hung up high, so I had to stand on my tiptoes and hold my camera above my head. You're right. I absolutely could have stood on a chair.
The Candela one is my addition. I put in this picture, though, so you could sort of see the view outside my window. They are doing construction right outside, so it always looks like a winter wonderland. We haven't gotten any snow in St. Louis yet (at least not any to speak of), but the kids always freak out when they are sitting in my room and look out the window, because they think the world has suddenly been covered in a foot of snow. When they rush to the window and look, though, they can see the still-green grass and I think they are a little relieved, but mostly depressed, that a lightning-fast blizzard hasn't passed through while they weren't looking.

1 comment:

  1. So fun! A.) love the tree! B.) Love the flag! C.)Un copo de nieve? Weird. Somehow that sounds like one of those antiquated words from Spain.
    ¡Feliz Navidad y próspero año nuevo! Te extraño...

    ReplyDelete